Re: add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display
Дата
Ответ на Re: add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display  (Bharath Rupireddy <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com>)
Ответы Re: add recovery, backup, archive, streaming etc. activity messages to server logs along with ps display  (Bharath Rupireddy <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 08, 2021 at 02:00:12PM +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> For standby, "received from primary" makes sense. For cascading
> standby too it makes sense because the standby still acts as primary
> for cascading standby, no? And we don't distinguish any other existing
> messages for a standby acting as a cascading standby right? The
> comments around the enum XLOG_FROM_STREAM and usage of it still says
> from "primary".

Quoting the docs:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/glossary.html#GLOSSARY-PRIMARY-SERVER
And a standby is no such thing.

> Do you want me to add "received from stream" in general?

"from stream" would be fine, IMHO.

> How about we invent a new GUC log_recovery, with default set to false,
> similar to log_checkpoints? And, these messages can be like:
> ereport(log_recovery ? LOG : DEBUG1, .....)? This GUC can be useful to
> add some recovery stats in future as well. Thoughts?

This discussion does not justify a new GUC at this stage IMO.
--
Michael

Вложения