Re: Data transfer from PG to SQL Server

От David Parenteau
Тема Re: Data transfer from PG to SQL Server
Дата
Список pgsql-odbc
Maybe you could use a Scheduled Powershell script to get your data using PostGres ODBC and save them in SQL Server using the Bulk Copy object? Otherwise, getting data to json/csv files and then BULK INSERT these file sinto SQL Server might also be wuick based on my experience.

Ex:
$bc = new-object ("System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy") $cn

NOTE: On my side, to get my ODBC long calls to work I had to set the tcp timeout managed by pgbouncer to 120 instead of default.

HTH.

David

From: Paul van Rixel <pvanrixel@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 9, 2021 8:48 AM
To: pgsql-odbc@lists.postgresql.org <pgsql-odbc@lists.postgresql.org>
Subject: Data transfer from PG to SQL Server

Hi all,

I'm looking for the best way to transfer data on a weekly basis to a SQL Server Instance which will be the staging area for BI reporting. A SQL Server Linked Server configuration is because of security issues not allowed so now I need some help!

What I did previously was installing the  Postgres ODBC Driver 12_02 version, configuration is ok because a test is successful.  So next step was to configure a linked server and in that way I can see the tables. To get the data from straigtforwarded tables without JSON or XML columns I used openquery from SQL Server. That works for 80% of the tables. I also see in the Postgresql logfiles that I'm connected and read that table.
Large tables (> 3GB) however did not transfer!
Also tried with Export/Import wizard from SQL Server Managememnt Studio but also from SSIS. Both failed.

So my simple question is how to transfer Postgresql data/tables to SQL Server without Linked Server or other paid tools like pgOledb? I could not find answer so that's why I'm here!

Any help would be appreciated!

Best regards,

Paul van Rixel
DBA