RE: Postgresql HA cluster

От Jason Grammenos
Тема RE: Postgresql HA cluster
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais

Perhaps you could help me understand a few things better about how primary-standby works in postgresql with streaming
replication.

If you have 2 PostgreSQL nodes hooked up to a Load balancer (haproxy), and you move take node1 out of load balancing,
younow have connections on node1 and connections on node2, as the Load balancer drains the connections off node1 and
overto node2. How does PostgreSQL handle this scenario when there are writes happening on both nodes?

If instead you have 2 PostgreSQL nodes behind pacemaker (controlling a floating ip), what happens when you initiate a
failoverand move the floating ip? You want the connections to drain off node1 and move to node2. Again in this
scenario,both nodes would be sustaining writes at some point in time. How does the write only replica get changed out
ofwrite mode during this failover? How does the primary node get switched to read only after the connection drain is
complete?

Overall, I am trying to understand what it looks like operationally to run a 2 node postgresql "cluster" and how
patchingboth nodes would work (and mentally comparing it to what I currently do with mysql).

You recommended that primary-standby could be sufficient and is much simpler, so I am simply trying to wrap my head
aroundwhat exactly running it would look like. If primary standby is simple enough to failover, patch , reboot,
maintain,etc. Then you could be correct that master->master may not be needed.

Thank You
Jason

Jason Grammenos | Operations & Infrastructure Analyst
Pronouns: he/him
P: 613.232.7797 x1131
Toll-free: 866.545.3745 x1131
jason.grammenos@agilitypr.com
agilitypr.com
Learn new PR tips from our free resources.