kernel.shmmax and kernel.shmall for Linux server

От Matthias Apitz
Тема kernel.shmmax and kernel.shmall for Linux server
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello,

I've read the doc https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/kernel-resources.html
but I'm still relatively clueless, what to set. For example for our
standard installations like

- RAM: 32 GByte
- one PostgreSQL 13.1 server
- one database with ~400 tables, 4 GByte in size
- 100-200 connecting PostgreSQL-clients (C/C++ application servers,
  single threaded, for interactive usage)

The above document says, the Linux default values are good enough, but
they're:

# /usr/sbin/sysctl kernel | grep shm
kernel.shm_next_id = -1
kernel.shm_rmid_forced = 0
kernel.shmall = 1152921504606846720
kernel.shmmax = 18446744073709551615
kernel.shmmni = 4096

The values are coming from

# cat /boot/sysctl.conf-5.3.18-24.46-default
kernel.shmmax = 0xffffffffffffffff
# SHMALL = SHMMAX/PAGE_SIZE*(SHMMNI/16)
kernel.shmall = 0x0fffffffffffff00

Any hints for real values?