Re: document the need to analyze partitioned tables

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: document the need to analyze partitioned tables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 17, 2023 at 03:00:50PM -0600, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2023 at 03:53:24PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 12, 2023 at 03:27:47PM -0800, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> > > Here is my take on the wording:
> > >
> > >     Since all the data for a partitioned table is stored in its partitions,
> > >     autovacuum does not process partitioned tables.  Instead, autovacuum
> > >     processes the individual partitions that are regular tables.  This
> > >     means that autovacuum only gathers statistics for the regular tables
> > >     that serve as partitions and not for the partitioned tables.  Since
> > >     queries may rely on a partitioned table's statistics, you should
> > >     collect statistics via the ANALYZE command when it is first populated,
> > >     and again whenever the distribution of data in its partitions changes
> > >     significantly.
> >
> > Uh, what about autovacuum's handling of partitioned tables?  This makes
> > it sound like it ignores them because it talks about manual ANALYZE.
>
> If we're referring to the *partitioned* table, then it does ignore them.
> See:
>
> |commit 6f8127b7390119c21479f5ce495b7d2168930e82
> |Author: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>
> |Date:   Mon Aug 16 17:27:52 2021 -0400
> |
> |    Revert analyze support for partitioned tables

Yes, I see that patch was trying to combine the statistics of individual
partitions into a partitioned table summary.

> Maybe (all?) the clarification the docs need is to say:
> "Partitioned tables are not *themselves* processed by autovacuum."

Yes, I think the lack of autovacuum needs to be specifically mentioned
since most people assume autovacuum handles _all_ statistics updating.

Can someone summarize how bad it is we have no statistics on partitioned
tables?  It sounds bad to me.

Embrace your flaws.  They make you human, rather than perfect,
which you will never be.