Re: Add 64-bit XIDs into PostgreSQL 15

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Add 64-bit XIDs into PostgreSQL 15
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 02:35:20PM +0100, Chris Travers wrote:
> So I think the problem is that PostgreSQL is becoming more and more scalabile,
> hardware is becoming more capable, and certain use cases are continuing to
> scale up.  Over time, we tend to find ourselves approaching the end of the
> runway at ever higher velocities.  That's a problem that will get significantly
> worse over time.
>
> Of course, as I think we agree, the priorities should be (in order):
> 1.  Avoid trouble
> 2.  Recover from trouble early
> 3.  Provide more and better options for recovery.

Warn about trouble is another area we should focus on here.

> I think 64bit xids are a very good idea, but they really fit in this bottom
> tier.   Not being up against mathematical limits to the software when things
> are going bad is certainly a good thing.  But I am really worried about the
> attitude that this patch really avoids trouble because in many cases, I don;t
> think it does and therefore I believe we need to make sure we are not reducing
> visibility of underlying problems.

As far as I know, all our freeze values are focused on avoiding XID
wraparound.  If XID wraparound is no longer an issue, we might find that
our freeze limits can be much higher than they are now.

Embrace your flaws.  They make you human, rather than perfect,
which you will never be.