Re: does postgres has snapshot standby feature?

От Christoph Moench-Tegeder
Тема Re: does postgres has snapshot standby feature?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
## milist ujang (ujang.milist@gmail.com):

> read about removing standby.signal file behavior in pg14 from
> https://dbaclass.com/article/how-to-open-postgres-standby-database-for-read-writesnapshot-standby/

That article is fractally wrong, and that starts right in the first
sentence. See
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/functions-info.html#FUNCTIONS-PG-SNAPSHOT
(not getting into detail discussions, but still).

Anyhow, the article does not discuss requirements and limitations of
pg_rewind, and promotes unsafe practices. After reading this article,
I'd be more than careful with anything else published by that source.

> I was shocked about the hidden feature of snapshot standby, does it really
> exist?

It's not an official feature. There's a limited amount of thing you can
get away with when breaking and rewinding replication, but the guarantees
on those are rather weak.

Regards,
Christoph

--