Re: FUD!! ODBC will not be supported by Microsoft in the future

От Randolf Richardson
Тема Re: FUD!! ODBC will not be supported by Microsoft in the future
Дата
Список pgsql-odbc
>> Yes, can you please be more specific, what problems have you had with
>> it? We are in the process of moving from Oracle on Sun to Postgres on
>> Linux with front end windows machines. What problems have you had with
>> the Postgres ODBC drivers on Windows?
>
> The issue isn't with present condition of ODBC drivers.
>
> It is that "Windows 2004," which will presumably start getting forced
> onto your desktop machines next year, may no longer support ODBC in
> favor of [Fill In New DB Access System Here].
>
> So long as you can get licenses to older MSFT software, it would not
> be a big issue.  If diminishment of ODBC support led to some sort of
> hue and cry, Microsoft might relent, although it would be unremarkable
> for that to involve them doing some work to break access to "foreign"
> databases, where possible.

        Ah, I wouldn't be worried about this.  Microsoft tried to kill Java
(and they're still trying to kill it today), but just look at how popular
it is now -- looks like Microsoft's efforts backfired, and I suspect the
same will be true with ODBC.

        If ODBC support is in fact eliminated by Microsoft, however, the rest
of the world will still be able to move on to JDBC if some open source
alternative doesn't save the day.

--
Randolf Richardson - rr@8x.ca
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Please do not eMail me directly when responding
to my postings in the newsgroups.