RE: [INTERFACES] ecpg and getting just assigned serial number

От Craig Orsinger
Тема RE: [INTERFACES] ecpg and getting just assigned serial number
Дата
Re: [INTERFACES] ecpg and getting just assigned serial number  (Michael Meskes <meskes@postgresql.org>)
Список pgsql-interfaces
On 13-Sep-99 Andreas Theofilu wrote:
> I can write such a function, of course. But I will not break compatibility
> to Informix, because both databases, PostgreSQL _and_ Informix are
> supported in only a single source file.
       I've tried to do this myself, and in the long run I think
you'll be better off planning on having two different versions of
embedded C, or at least, two different sets of functions that do
certain operations. Informix ESQL/C and ecpg have significantly
different syntax, especially regarding CURSORs and FETCHs. If you
keep things simple, and have some way of converting database names
between the two systems, you can undoubtedly do what you're trying
to do. Anything else and it gets really difficult. While Informix
supports EXEC SQL IFDEF, PostgreSQL does not appear to.
       An alternative might be to have a single source file that
can be modified by a sed or awk script to conform to whatever
embedded SQL you're using at the moment. I considered this approach,
but didn't pursue it because I didn't have the time.
       We had a discussion here about this subject in June. The
subject was "esql/c documentation". If you can't find it in the
archive, I can e-mail some of the more interesting posts in that
thread.

----------------------------------
Date: 13-Sep-99  Time: 10:55:47

Craig Orsinger                  (email: <orsingerc@epg-gw1.lewis.army.mil>)
Logicon RDA
Bldg. 8B28                      "Just another megalomaniac with ideas above his
6th & F Streets                 station. The Universe is full of them."
Ft. Lewis, WA   98433                   - The Doctor

От: Margarita Barvinok
Сообщение: Transaction: Begin, Lock
От: theofilu@eunet.at (Theofilu Andreas)
Сообщение: RE[2]: [INTERFACES] ecpg and getting just assigned serial number