Re: [HACKERS] alter table

От Vince Vielhaber
Тема Re: [HACKERS] alter table
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 06-Jul-99 Tom Lane wrote:
> Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:
>> Can a serial type be added to an existing table using ALTER TABLE?  If so
>> why doesn't it work on hub?  If not, I guess that explains why it doesn't
>> work, so I'm open to suggestions on how to add it easily...
>
> I'm not sure about this, but I seem to recall that ALTER TABLE ADD
> COLUMN doesn't know anything about adding constraints or defaults.
> And, of course, the default clause for a serial column is what *really*
> makes it go.  Given this lack, the fact that ALTER TABLE is also
> unprepared to create the underlying sequence object for a SERIAL column
> is the least of your worries ;-)
>
> There was some discussion a few months ago about redesigning the support
> for SERIAL columns to make them less of an add-on kluge and more of a
> real integrated feature.  I'd be inclined to think that that should
> happen before we try to teach ALTER TABLE about serial columns ---
> otherwise it'll just be another kluge in need of replacement.  Does
> anyone recall what happened with that discussion thread?
>
>                       regards, tom lane

Now that you mention it I vaguely recall that thread.  I'm also thinking
there may be a problem with serial types on hub.  I tried using an insert
with select and although it inserted all 106 records, it didn't have a
clue as to what the serial column was.  So I dropped the table, dropped
the sequence and created it again.  It gives me this:

ERROR:  attribute 'mirrorid' not found

I dropped Marc a note about it since I'm about to run out the door.  (Baseball
playoffs are here)

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null      # include <std/disclaimers.h>
       TEAM-OS2       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore