RE: [HACKERS] locales and MB (was: Postgres 6.5 beta2 and beta3

От Dmitry Samersoff
Тема RE: [HACKERS] locales and MB (was: Postgres 6.5 beta2 and beta3
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 11-Jun-99 Goran Thyni wrote:
> Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
>> I think until NATIONAL CHARACTER is fully implemented, we would not be
>> able to properly handle sort orders with multi-byte characters.
>> (Thomas, I've been think about implementing NCHAR too!)
>>
>> So you could do whatever you like as long as they are in #ifndef
>> MULTIBYTE:-)
>
> Hmm,
> and the world is moving towards Unicode.
> we definitely need working support for locales and multichar.
> Perhaps the right way to do it is to store everything in
> som Unicode format internally and convert the output
> according to the suggested "per-column-locale-definition".
>
> Larry Wall has hacked UTF8 support into perl so it is doable,
> so let see what we can do for 6.6 (time permitting as always).

IMHO, also will be pleasent add charset/unicode for database or possible, for
single table at runtime, not for the whole postgres by configure.

---
Dmitry Samersoff, dms@wplus.net, ICQ:3161705
http://devnull.wplus.net
* There will come soft rains ...