Re: [HACKERS] make install fails in perl5 ...

От Vince Vielhaber
Тема Re: [HACKERS] make install fails in perl5 ...
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 27-Oct-98 Tom Lane wrote:
> Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:
>> I understand that, and I *don't* run it as root, I only install it
>> as root.  After it's installed I chown it to postgres which is what
>> many other packages do.
>
> I dunno, that sure seems like the hard way to me.  I made
> /usr/local/pgsql (which I had to do as root, since /usr/local isn't
> widely writable) and chowned it to postgres.  Since then, I can do
> the builds, installs, and everything else as postgres.

$ ./configure
$ gmake
$ sudo gmake install

Many packages build/install similarly and the makefile ensures that the
permissions and ownerships are correct.  Since the postgresql makefile
doesn't do the permissions/ownerships I have to.  This last part must
be what you see as "the hard way".   It's what I see as odd (as I stated
earlier).  That's really the only difference.  If I don't do the regression
tests (and I usually don't) I don't have to bother with the permissions
on the source tree.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null      # include <std/disclaimers.h>
       TEAM-OS2  Online Searchable Campground Listings    http://www.camping-usa.com      "There is no outfit less
entitledto lecture me about bloat              than the federal government"  -- Tony Snow