RE: [HACKERS] ACL's

От Karl Auer
Тема RE: [HACKERS] ACL's
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I think it should stay that way - being able to deny oneself a privilege is a
good way to make sure that one does what one does consciously. I know the
root password on many machines, but I still do almost everything through a
normal account - that way I have to make a conscious decison to become
dangerous :-) and if I accidentaly try to do something dangerous as an
ordinary user a) it doesn't happen and b) I'm reminded how dangerous it is.
I still have the ability to do dangerous things, I just have to take an extra
step.

I agree with your point regarding RULE permission and GRANT ALL; however,
GRANT ALL really should grant ALL, don't you think? Maybe add a variant
"GRANT NORMAL", where "NORMAL" is a mask of permissions set by the
administrator (of the given database of course).

Regards, K.

Am 21-Oct-98 schrieb Jan Wieck:
> Hi,
>
>     while  writing  the  chapter  about  Rules  and permissions I
>     remember that there was a problem with non privileged  users.
>     As  soon  as  someone without superuser privs does a GRANT or
>     REVOKE on his relations, he must GRANT explicitly to  himself
>     too  or  will  get  a  "permission denied". I think since the
>     table owner allway  has  the  right  to  change  ACL's,  this
>     doesn't  make sense. I'll dig it up and send in a patch soon.
>
>     While doing this, should I exclude RULE permission from GRANT
>     ALL?  I think it's dangerous to have it included, because the
>     usual way to give full access is  a  GRANT  ALL  and  someone
>     might  forget  that  this  includes the right to disable rule
>     actions for a moment. The output of pg_rules gives anyone the
>     knowledge to reinstall the correct rules after. An explicitly
>     required GRANT RULE is better IMHO. And the RULE right  isn't
>     standard, is it?
>

> Jan
>
> --

># It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong than for being right. #
># Let's break this rule - forgive me.                                  #

---
Karl Auer (auer@kom.id.ethz.ch)              Geschaeft/work     +41-1-6327531
Kommunikation, ETHZ RZ                          Privat/home     +41-1-4517941
Clausiusstrasse 59                                      Fax     +41-1-6321225
CH-8092 ZUERICH Switzerland