Re: Moving other hex functions to /common

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Moving other hex functions to /common
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 08:22:07PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> So, I am learning this cfbot thing.  Seems I need -M100% to disable
> rename detection for diffs to work with cfbot --- makes sense.

A good way to make sure that a patch format is correct for the CF bot
would be to use "git format-patch -1" to generate a patch from a
single commit.

> New patch attached.

I think that this patch would have more value if we remove completely
the hex routines from ECPG and have ECPG use what's moved in
src/common/, meaning the following changes:
- Remove the exit(), pg_log_fatal() and ereport() calls from
src/common/hex.c, replace the error code paths with -1, and return a
signed result.
- The ECPG copies make no use of ecpg_raise(), so things map easily.
- This means keeping small wrappers in encode.c able to generate those
ereport(FATAL) in the backend, but that's just necessary for the
decode routine that's the only thing using get_hex().
- Let's prefix the routines in src/common/ with "pg_", to be
consistent with base64.
- It would be good to document the top each routine in hex.c (see
base64.c for a similar reference).
--
Michael

Вложения