RE: How to keep format of views source code as entered?

От Andreas Joseph Krogh
Тема RE: How to keep format of views source code as entered?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
På fredag 08. januar 2021 kl. 09:38:29, skrev Markhof, Ingolf <ingolf.markhof@de.verizon.com>:

Thanks for your comments and thoughts.

I am really surprised that PostgreSQL is unable to keep the source text of a view. Honestly, for me the looks like an implementation gap. Consider software development. You are writing code in C++ maybe on a UNIX host. And whenever you feed you source code into the compiler, it will delete it, keeping the resulting executable, only. And you could not even store your source code on the UNIX system. Instead, you'd be forced to do so in a separate system, like GitHub. Stupid, isn't it? Right. There are good reasons to store the source code on GitHub or alike anyhow. Especially when working on larger project and when collaborating with many people. But in case of rather small project with a few people only, this might be an overkill.

It shouldn't be rocket science to enable PostgreSQL to store the original source code as well. It's weird PostgreSQL is not doing it.

It isn't rocket-science, of couse, but I'm pretty sure it is implemented like this on purpose. PG doesn't store queries you feed it either, nor any other command. It stores the resulting structure. SQL-scripts, containing DDL/DML should be versioned using scm like Git, not rely on the DB to store it.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh

Сообщение: RE: How to keep format of views source code as entered?
Сообщение: Re: How to keep format of views source code as entered?