Re: Strategy for moving a large DB to another machine with least possible down-time

От Andreas Joseph Krogh
Тема Re: Strategy for moving a large DB to another machine with least possible down-time
Дата
Список pgsql-general
På søndag 21. september 2014 kl. 16:10:54, skrev Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>:
On 09/21/2014 06:50 AM, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
> På søndag 21. september 2014 kl. 15:48:00, skrev Adrian Klaver
> <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>>:
>
>     On 09/21/2014 05:44 AM, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
>      > På søndag 21. september 2014 kl. 13:51:00, skrev Bill Moran
>      > <wmoran@potentialtech.com <mailto:wmoran@potentialtech.com>>:
>      >
>
>      >
>      > I see this limitation in Slyny:
>      > http://slony.info/documentation/2.2/limitations.html
>      >
>      > Slony-I does not automatically replicate
>      >
>      >   *
>      >
>      >     Changes to large objects (BLOBS)
>      >
>      >   *
>      >
>      >     Changes made by DDL commands
>      >
>      >   *
>      >
>      >     Changes to users and roles
>      >
>      > Not being able to replicate BLOBS is a show-stopper for me as we have
>      > lots of them.
>
>     Well I would say it depends on where you are storing the binary data, in
>     large objects or in a bytea column?  If you are using bytea columns then
>     you would be okay. If it is large objects then you have a problem.
>
> Large-objects, not BYTEA, as they allow for much more efficient
> streaming (require less memory).

Here are some other suggestions from the project, though they are
cluster wide(including PITR):

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/backup-file.html

I think the rsync-approach is the most attractive option.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: Strategy for moving a large DB to another machine with least possible down-time
Сообщение: Re: Strategy for moving a large DB to another machine with least possible down-time