Re: [GENERAL] PG-10 + ICU and abbreviated keys

От Andreas Joseph Krogh
Тема Re: [GENERAL] PG-10 + ICU and abbreviated keys
Дата
Список pgsql-general
På mandag 13. november 2017 kl. 19:07:53, skrev Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie>:
On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 12:27 AM, Andreas Joseph Krogh
<andreas@visena.com> wrote:
> In PG-10, with ICU enabled, is abbreviated keys now enabled?

Yes. ICU will use abbreviated keys on every platform, including Windows.

> If so, using locale=nb_NO.UTF-8, do I have to use a ICU-specific locale to take advantage of abbreviated keys?

You need to use an ICU collation. It must be a per-column collation,
as you cannot currently use ICU for an entire database. (This
limitation should be removed in the next release or two.)

Ok, so I have to explicitly specify like this:

create table test(id serial primary key, name varchar collate "nb_NO" not null);

Will ICU be used here as long as PG is compiled with ICU-suppoert, as the debian-packages are, or do I have to specify collation-provider?

Do I have to explicitly specify collation when using ORDER by on that column for index and abbreviated keys to be used?

Thanks.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS