Re: How to keep pg_largeobject from growing endlessly

От Andreas Joseph Krogh
Тема Re: How to keep pg_largeobject from growing endlessly
Дата
Список pgsql-general
På onsdag 15. april 2015 kl. 15:50:36, skrev Adam Hooper <adam@adamhooper.com>:
On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 4:49 AM, Andreas Joseph Krogh
<andreas@visena.com> wrote:

> In other words: Does vacuumlo cause diskspace used by pg_largeobject to be freed to the OS (after eventually vacuumed by autovacuum)?

No.

But that shouldn't matter in your scenario: if you create more large
objects than you delete, you aren't wasting space anyway.

Ok. Out of curiousity; When does it get freed, when VACUUM FULL'ed?

A longer-term problem that may apply in your scenario: pg_largeobject
can't grow beyond your tablespace's disk size. Unlike other tables,
it's very hard to move pg_largeobject to a new database/tablespace
without downtime. If your table is constantly growing and you're
worrying about how much space it's taking, other storage strategies
(bytea, S3, NFS, etc) might inspire more confidence. I had this
problem a few months ago; since then, I only use pg_largeobject in
prototyping and low-growth situations.
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAMWjz6GF9TM+vWM_0ymQYPi4Xk_bv2nYaREMWR1EcsqBS404vw@mail.gmail.com

I'm aware of this but I haven't found an alternate solution which provides streaming of large BLOBs and TX-safety.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: How to keep pg_largeobject from growing endlessly
Сообщение: Re: How to keep pg_largeobject from growing endlessly