RE: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side

От osumi.takamichi@fujitsu.com
Тема RE: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side
Дата
Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side  (Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Monday, January 17, 2022 3:18 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've attached an updated patch. Please review it.
Hi, thank you for sharing a new patch.
Few comments on the v6.

(1) doc/src/sgml/ref/alter_subscription.sgml

+      resort.  This option has no effect on the transaction that is already

One TAB exists between "resort" and "This".

(2) Minor improvement suggestion of comment in src/backend/replication/logical/worker.c

+ * reset during that.  Also, we don't skip receiving the changes in streaming
+ * cases, since we decide whether or not to skip applying the changes when

I sugguest that you don't use 'streaming cases', because
what "streaming cases" means sounds a bit broader than actual your implementation.
We do skip transaction of streaming cases but not during the spooling phase, right ?

I suggest below.

"We don't skip receiving the changes at the phase to spool streaming transactions"

(3) in the comment of apply_handle_prepare_internal, two full-width characters.

3-1
+     * won’t be resent in a case where the server crashes between them.

3-2
+     * COMMIT PREPARED or ROLLBACK PREPARED. But that’s okay because this

You have full-width characters for "won't" and "that's".
Could you please check ?

(4) typo

+ * the subscription if hte user has specified skip_xid. Once we start skipping

"hte" should "the" ?

(5)

I can miss something here but, in one of
the past discussions, there seems a consensus that
if the user specifies XID of a subtransaction,
it would be better to skip only the subtransaction.

This time, is it out of the range of the patch ?
If so, I suggest you include some description about it
either in the commit message or around codes related to it.

(6)

I feel it's a better idea to include a test whether
to skip aborted streaming transaction clears the XID
in the TAP test for this feature, in a sense to cover
various new code paths. Did you have any special reason
to omit the case ?

(7)

I want more explanation for the reason to restart the subscriber
in the TAP test because this is not mandatory operation.
(We can pass the TAP tests without this restart)

From :
# Restart the subscriber node to restart logical replication with no interval

IIUC, below would be better.

To :
# As an optimization to finish tests earlier, restart the subscriber with no interval,
# rather than waiting for new error to laucher a new apply worker.

Best Regards,
    Takamichi Osumi