RE: Partial aggregates pushdown

От Fujii.Yuki@df.MitsubishiElectric.co.jp"
Тема RE: Partial aggregates pushdown
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi Jelte,

Thank you for your comment!

Could you please clarify what you mean?
Are you referring to:
  Option 1: Modifying existing aggregate functions to minimize the use of internal state values.
  Option 2: Not supporting the push down of partial aggregates for functions with internal state values.
  Option 3: Something other than Option 1 and Option 2.

There are many aggregate functions with internal state values, so if we go with Option 1,
we might need to change a lot of existing code, like transition functions and finalize functions.
Also, I'm not sure how many existing aggregate functions can be modified this way.

There are also many popular functions with internal state values,
like sum(int8) and avg(int8)(see [1]), so I don't think Option2 would be acceptable.

Best regards, Yuki Fujii

--
Yuki Fujii
Information Technology R&D Center, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation

[1] https://github.com/postgres/postgres/blob/REL_16_STABLE/src/include/catalog/pg_aggregate.dat