RE: Improve logging when using Huge Pages

От Shinoda, Noriyoshi (PN Japan FSIP)
Тема RE: Improve logging when using Huge Pages
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Fujii-san,

Thank you for your comment.
As advised by Justin, I modified the comment according to the style guide and split the if statement.
As you say, the NOTICE log was deleted as it may not be needed.

Regards,
Noriyoshi Shinoda
-----Original Message-----
From: Fujii Masao [mailto:masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 2, 2021 11:35 PM
To: Shinoda, Noriyoshi (PN Japan FSIP) <noriyoshi.shinoda@hpe.com>; pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org; Masahiko Sawada
<sawada.mshk@gmail.com>
Cc: rjuju123@gmail.com; tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us; Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com>; Justin Pryzby
<pryzby@telsasoft.com>
Subject: Re: Improve logging when using Huge Pages

On 2021/11/02 18:31, Shinoda, Noriyoshi (PN Japan FSIP) wrote:
> Fujii-san, Sawada-san,
>
> Thank you for your comment.
>
>> Also, with the patch, the log message is emitted also during initdb and starting up in single user mode:
>
> Certainly the log output when executing the initdb command was a noise.
> The attached patch reflects the comments and uses IsPostmasterEnvironment to suppress the output message.

Thanks for updating the patch!

+        ereport(IsPostmasterEnvironment ? LOG : NOTICE, (errmsg("Anonymous
+shared memory was allocated without huge pages.")));

This change causes the log message to be output with NOTICE level even when IsPostmasterEnvironment is false. But do we
reallywant to log that NOTICE message in that case? Instead, isn't it better to just output the log message with LOG
levelonly when IsPostmasterEnvironment is true?

Justin and I posted other comments upthread. Could you consider whether it's worth applying those comments to the
patch?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao