RE: [Extern] Re: Advice on binary installation

От Kevin Brannen
Тема RE: [Extern] Re: Advice on binary installation
Дата
Список pgsql-general

-----Original Message-----
From: Zwettler Markus (OIZ) <Markus.Zwettler@zuerich.ch>
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2021 8:08 AM

Out IT Sec requires to do software patching at least every 3 months.

How to you do software patching with your method? Creating + deploy new tarballs every 3 month?

Thanks, Markus

We used compile our own to do something very similar until we got rid of the need for 1 extension with an external dependency that was holding us back. After that, we just use the community packages and install the extensions package too. That allows us to do "create extension X" to load the ones we need in our application.

When we need to upgrade, we just get the newer community packages and install them with the OS package manager ("rpm" in our case). As long as you stay within the same major version it's all easy. If you cross major versions then "pg_upgrade" is required (be sure to use the -k option).

With a little effort, all of that is scriptable so you can run it on any servers as required when it's time for that server to upgrade. Ansible, Puppet, Chef, or your own distribution software can be useful to get it there and put into service.

To us, the above is the easy part. The hard part is certifying that the our software works with the newer version of Pg. It's rare we have to change things, but Pg has "tightened up" a little over time, showing us where we were a little "loose and carefree" in our SQL. That hasn't hit us in the last couple of releases, so hopefully we're beyond that and now we left with "what new features look useful to take advantage of?". 😊

HTH,

Kevin

This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it, may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution, review, copy or use of any of the information contained in or attached to this message is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify us by reply e-mail, and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading them or saving them to disk. Thank you.