Re: distribute_restrictinfo_to_rels if restrictinfo contains volatile functions

От Zhenghua Lyu
Тема Re: distribute_restrictinfo_to_rels if restrictinfo contains volatile functions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,
    Thanks for your reply.

    I find the problem in a distributed database based on Postgres (Greenplum). In distributed database
    there may be distributed tables:
         every single node only contain subpart of the data and combine them all will get the full data

    I think it may also be a problem for Postgres's parallel computing.
    1. What postgres planner do for parallel scan a table and then join a generate_series() function scan?
    2. What postgres planner do for parallel scan a table and then join a generate_series() function scan with a volatile filter?

    Thus running the SQL in the above case, since generate_series functions can can be taken as the same every where,
    And generate_series join generate_series also have this property: the data is complete in every single node. This property
    is very helpful in a distributed join: A distributed table join  generate_series function can just join in every local node and then
    gather the result back to a single node.

    But things are different when there are volatile functions: volatile functions may be in where clause, targetlist and somewhere.

    That is why I come up with the above case and ask here.

    To be honest, I do not care the push down so much. It is not normal usage to writing volatile functions in where clause.
    I just find it lose the property.

Best,
Zhenghua Lyu