Re: [HACKERS] char types gone.

От Maarten Boekhold
Тема Re: [HACKERS] char types gone.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Darren King wrote:

> > > I don't know how big of a performance boost it provides in the cache, but
> > > removing the functions associated with the char types shrank the pg_proc
> > > table from 906 to 842 entries or a bit over 7%.
> > >
> > > Want to shrink it further?  Of those remaining 842, _230_ are for the geometric
> > > types!  Throw in 25 more for the cash/money functions.  Bloat city if you
> > > never use these things.  Thirty percent could be moved out to contrib and
> > > not missed by most postgres users.
> > >

> > Yes, but if they are never referenced, the cache is empty for those
> > types.  Unless there is some performance change with their removal, why
> > remove them?  Disk space of binary?
>
> How does the cache really work then?  Does one pg disk block map to one buffer?
>
> When you say "the cache is empty for those types.", what do you mean?

I think there's some confusion about which cache is meant. I think the
cache, be it first level or second level. Darren is probably meaning a
postgresql internal cache....

Maarten

| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems  |
|                   Department of Electrical Engineering                    |
|           Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section             |
|                          M.Boekhold@et.tudelft.nl                         |

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Data type removal
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Data type removal