Re: [HACKERS] Re: indexing words slow

От Maarten Boekhold
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Re: indexing words slow
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 11 Mar 1998 ocie@paracel.com wrote:

> Maarten Boekhold wrote:

> > btw. to make things clearer on what I mean with '^lling' and '^tones', I
> > really mean "'^lling' *AND* '^tones'", ie. a join :) actually pretty good
> > don't ya think? :)
>
> This sounds like an unsatisfyable query, perhaps if the database
> figured this out, it could return zero rows without even hitting the
> index.  If the first item matched, the first character is an 'l', if
> the second matches, a 't'.  It can't be both an 'l' and a 't'!

OK, I wasn't clear enough:

select count(*) from table t1, table t2 where t1.string ~ '^lling' and
t2.string  '^tones';

Ofcourse the can be done (note that this is a table with 4,500,000 rows).

Maarten

| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems  |
|                   Department of Electrical Engineering                    |
|           Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section             |
|                          M.Boekhold@et.tudelft.nl                         |