Postgres and IDL via libpq

От Robert Knop
Тема Postgres and IDL via libpq
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
Has anybody succesfully interfaced PostgreSQL with IDL using libpq?

I've run a bunch of test cases which seem to indicate that IDL and
Postgres simply don't like each other.  Here's what I've done (all of this
on Linux on a Pentium II):

(1) created an pgsql_access.so shared library which has one function in
it.  All this function does is use PGconn and PGexec to run a sizeable
query on a database located on yet another host.  It doesn't try to read
any of the results of the query, it just runs PGexec.

(2) created a program test which is linked with pgsql_access.so that calls
the function.

(3) created an shared image test_idl.so, which is linked with
pgsql_access.so and calls the function.  It is identical to test of (2),
only it has the IDL calling sequence built in.  It calls the function in
pgsql_access.so in a manner identical to that from test of (2).  This
shared image is linked into IDL using "LINKIMAGE".  I've done this with
other, non-Postgres applications sucesfully.

When I run test of (2), the program runs and does the query, and exits
happily.  However, when I run the IDL command created in (3), the process
sucks down system memory (on the IDL machine, not the postmaster
machine) until there's no more memory to suck down, at which point it
coredumps.

My current conclusions seems to be that it's just not possible to use
something that accesses libpq in the same process that is accessing IDL
variables.  I'm hoping that somebody might be able to offer some
suggestions that will help me figure out how to get this to work.

Thanks,

-Rob

==== Rob Knop ===== rknop@lbl.gov ====== http://panisse.lbl.gov/~rknop ======