Re: Query speed problems

От Victor Danilchenko
Тема Re: Query speed problems
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Nikolaus Dilger wrote:

>Victor,
>
>What is the issue?  You get sub second response time.

    The issue is that the query is a part of *user interface*, as I
wrote in my original message; and there is a small number of such
queries (about 3) that run per each user action. A second-long wait in
*UI* is unacceptable -- people tend to find even third-of-a-second wait
to be annoying. UI interactions should be so fast as to appear nearly
instant.

>Why waste your time trying to make it faster?

    Well, there's also the learning aspect of it -- this is my first
major SQL project, and I am trying to understand as much as I can about
under-the-surface stuff. Thanks to Peter Darley, I already have a fast
solution -- now I simply want to understand more about the performance
issues inherent in reverse-lookup subqueries.

--
|  Victor  Danilchenko  | Of course my password is the same as    |
| danilche@cs.umass.edu | my pet's name. My macaw's name was      |