Re: intel vs amd benchmark for pg server

От Brent Wood
Тема Re: intel vs amd benchmark for pg server
Дата
Список pgsql-general
SiS chipsets are generally pretty basic, although some of their more
recent ones are going particularly well.

If you want to do a more genuine cpu comparison, you should use
motherboards with comparable chipsets, so both boards have same
generation SiS (or VIA or ALI) chipsets for Intel/AMD accordingly. Same
memory (type, speed, amount & configuration), same hard drive & same O/S &
Postgres installation.

There are so many issues with motherboards, chipsets, memory
access/latencies, off cpu caches, drive caches, etc... (before we start
looking at the IDE DMA & other drivers), etc that an evaluation
such as yours cannot be said to compare cpu's. It just compares those two
platforms, I don't think you can state from your observations that any one
component is responsible for the performance difference.

Brent Wood

       _-''-_    <Brent Wood> b.wood@niwa.cri.nz  Ph: +64(4)386-0300
      'o     \/  NIWA, Box 14901,
      > )    /\  Kilbirnie, Wellington, New Zealand
      `-===-'    #include <std_disclaimer>