Re: Call for objections: put back OIDs in CREATE TABLE

От Curt Sampson
Тема Re: Call for objections: put back OIDs in CREATE TABLE
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 26 Jan 2003, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Ross, you make some powerful arguments here.  Probably the most
> significant was the idea that you need a unique identifier for every
> row, and it should be of a consistent type, which primary key is not.

I don't see why you need a unqiue identifier per row, nor do I see why,
if you are going to have one, it needs to be the same type across all
tables.

Having this may be very desirable, and even necessary, for many or
all object-to-relational mapping frameworks, but that is certainly not
the only thing that postgres is used for. And I still maintain that
if something does need something like of OIDs, it should be declared
explicitly in the database schema (as you have to do in other DBMSes)
and not use a "hidden" feature.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.netbsd.org   Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're