Re: I am being interviewed by OReilly

От Curt Sampson
Тема Re: I am being interviewed by OReilly
Дата
Re: I am being interviewed by OReilly  (Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>)
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Lamar Owen wrote:

> Curt, you do realize that Marc Fournier....

Sure. You do realize that I've been using postgres on and off since
before Postgres95 existed, right?

Regardless, if people think it's not worthwhile to change the name, I
have no problem with that. It's the, "Just shut up because I don't want
to listen to you attitude" that I have a problem with. Not to mention
the, "It's wrong, but I don't have to give any reasons why, because I'm
just right and you're not" attitude.

You know, I just bought this up as an idea to be batted around. And I,
for one, am still not sure whether changing the name is a good idea or
not. But I find really disappointing the number of people here who a)
object to an idea for no good reason that they can explain, beyond "I
don't like it," and b) are flaming those who are discussing this idea
rather than dismissing it.

> This is not a democracy.  It is an oligarchy.  Marc is one of the six
> oligarchs, so _Deal_with_it_.

So, basically, "if you don't like the product, get lost."

If this is really the case, we can certainly drop any discussion
of the name, because we have much, much bigger marketing problems.

> 1.)    It is well known by that name;

Not to mention by one or two other names.

> 4.)    It has history;

Though less history than other names.

> 5.)    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" -- and the name ain't broke.

Well, apparently some people don't agree with you. You can listen to them
or you can tell them to get lost. Your choice.

cjs