Re: I am being interviewed by OReilly

От Curt Sampson
Тема Re: I am being interviewed by OReilly
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10 Jul 2002, tony wrote:

> If you don't want people to take PostgreSQL seriously then just put a
> big red sign on the first page of the web site.
>
> "The free rdbms that often changes it name - come back often to see how
> we are called" seems like a good choice to me...

That's a definite downside, yes. On the other hand, we essentially
already have three names at the moment: PostgreSQL, Postgres, and
PgSQL. Is it better to perpetuate that confusion forever, or to
make a concerted effort to fix it and fix the problem for good?

> The whole discussion is a stupid waste of time because there is
> _nothing_ wrong with the name as it is now.

"No, you're a stupid moron because you can't see the problem."

Is this the response you're looking for? If not, I suggest you put
away your flamethrower.

> It is only causing pain and
> confusion amongst users, newcomers and developers. It is only serving to
> hurt PostgreSQL and how it is perceived.

Funny, that's the exact complaint some people have about the current
name problem.

> I just want the nutters to shut up and let us get on with something more
> serious.

"Then be quiet."

> This is not a flame - it is common sense.

To call me and others on this list a "nutter" and to call our ideas
"stupid" and a "waste of time" is not a flame? Come on now.

Anyway, feel free to flame me back and get the last word in, if you
like. I shan't be replying to you again unless you come back without the
insults.

cjs

Сообщение: Re: I am being interviewed by OReilly
Сообщение: Re: I am being interviewed by OReilly