Re: I am being interviewed by OReilly

От Curt Sampson
Тема Re: I am being interviewed by OReilly
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 4 Jul 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> I'd not be in favor of picking something new out of the blue, but I'd
> pick 'Postgres' over 'PostgreSQL' if it were up to me.

As I recall the only real reason for the change was to emphasize that
the query language had changed to SQL. Back in my young and naive days
(probably early '95) I remember picking up Postgres, realizing it didn't
use SQL as the query language, thinking, "How terrible!" and immediately
dropping it for MySQL. (I'm older and wiser now, but it's too late--all
the systems that let you use something less crappy than SQL are now
gone. *Sigh*.) Anyway, I expect that others had the same experience, and
thus something like that was required to get people who had previously
dropped it to go back to it again.

Now that QUEL or PostQUEL or whatever it was is long gone and fogotten
(except maybe in certain CA-Unicenter shops), I see no reason we
couldn't go back to "Postgres" now.

cjs