Re: COPY support in pgsql-jdbc driver

От Michael Adler
Тема Re: COPY support in pgsql-jdbc driver
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc

I'm trying to add COPY support to the org.postgresql driver. This is my
first work with pgsql below the "application" level.

The first challenge is that the response to a COPY query is not a result
set, so the assumptions of the QueryExecutor don't apply nicely here
(execute() returns a ResultSet). I didn't investigate the possibility of
making the copy output behave like a resultset, although I guess it's an
option.

The solution I came up with is to add two methods to the
org.postgresql.Connection class and have them manage the entire transfer.
This is not beautiful, but it's a start. Someone who is "intimate" with
the project will no doubt have a better idea. (although the copy protocol
seems to be the exception to the rest of the protocol, so perhaps the
code would reflect that).

The copyOut() method works well enough to read actual data from the
backend.

The copyIn() methods does not work. I'm not sure why.

I suspect one problem is my mishandling of the pg_stream and the fe/be
protocol.

Two other shortcomings of the code - the lack of exception handling and
the lack of synchronization of the pg_stream. I'm not sure if the later is
a problem, but those can be addressed later.

// in org.postgresql.Connection :

    // *****************
    // Postgres COPY handling
    // *****************

    /*
     *  This will take the name of a table, construct a COPY OUT query, send the query
     *  ( while bypassing QueryExecutor), receive the resulting bytes of data and return
     *  a ByteArrayOutputStream.
     *
     */

    public ByteArrayOutputStream copyOut(String table) throws Exception
    {

        // duplicates statements in QueryExecutor.sendQuery
        pg_stream.SendChar('Q');
        pg_stream.Send(this.getEncoding().encode( "COPY " + table + " TO STDOUT" ));
        pg_stream.SendChar(0);
        pg_stream.flush();

        // check response from backend
        int response = pg_stream.ReceiveChar();

        if (response != 'H') {
            throw new Exception("Copy should receive H from backend, but instead received: " + (char)response );
        }

        // read input stream one char at a time, but always holding three
        int a = pg_stream.ReceiveChar();
        int b = pg_stream.ReceiveChar();
        int c = pg_stream.ReceiveChar();

        while (true) {
            if ( a == '\\' && b == '.' &&  c == '\n' ) {
                // this sequence of bytes means the copy is over
                break;
            }

            out.write(a);

            a = b;
            b = c;
            c = pg_stream.ReceiveChar();
        }

        String str = pg_stream.ReceiveString(this.getEncoding());
        System.out.println( "Received String " + str );

        return out;
    }

    /*
     *  This will take the name of a table and a ByteArrayInputStream, construct a COPY IN query,
     *  send the query ( while bypassing QueryExecutor), send the bytes of data and send the 3 bytes
     *  that signify the end of the copy
     *
     */

    public void copyIn (String table, ByteArrayInputStream in) throws Exception
    {
        // duplicates statements in QueryExecutor.sendQuery
        pg_stream.SendChar('Q');
        pg_stream.Send(this.getEncoding().encode( "COPY " + table + " FROM STDIN " ));
        pg_stream.SendChar(0);
        pg_stream.flush();

        // check response from backend
        int response = pg_stream.ReceiveChar();

        if (response != 'G') {
            throw new Exception("Copy should receive G from backend, but instead received: " + (char)response );
        }

        // send the whole input stream
        int b = in.read();
        while (b != -1) {
            pg_stream.SendChar((char)b);
            b = in.read();
        }

        //send the special row
        pg_stream.Send( new byte[] { (byte)'\\', (byte)'.', (byte)'\n' } );
        pg_stream.flush();

        String str = pg_stream.ReceiveString(this.getEncoding());
        // str should be "COPY"  ?
        System.out.println( "Received String " + str );
    }

here's the class that's used to test the methods

import java.sql.*;
import java.util.*;
import javax.sql.*;
import java.net.*;
import java.io.*;

public class TestCopy {

    static {
    try {
        Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");
    }
    catch (Exception e) {
        e.printStackTrace();
        System.err.println(e);
        System.exit(1);
    }
    }

    public TestCopy () throws Exception {
    // nothing in constructor
    }

    public static void main (String array[] ) throws Exception {

    Connection local_con  = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:postgresql://vision/sync_corp2", "eagle" , "c0ntr0l");

    // cast the connection so that you can access methods not available in java.sql.Connection
    org.postgresql.Connection con = (org.postgresql.Connection)local_con;

    // create a byte stream by copying out data from the source table
    ByteArrayOutputStream out = con.copyOut("source_table");

    // copy the byte stream into another table. in practice, you'd use COPY to
    // copy data from one database to another, not just one table to another
    con.copyIn("destination_table", new ByteArrayInputStream(out.toByteArray()));

    }
}