Re: One particular large database application

От Curt Sampson
Тема Re: One particular large database application
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> IDE's may have good thoughput, but their seek times can't compete with top
> of the line SCSI.

Dollar for dollar, IDE has far better performance. Even including the
cost of extra controllers (because you need one controller for each
drive), I can get four high-end IDE drives for the price of one SCSI
drive. There's no way any SCSI drive is going to do as many I/Os per
second as four good IDE drives.

As well, seek time isn't always important. For your log disk, for
example, you care more about high sequential write speed.

> Exactly.. since it won't be easy for you to find the best distributions
> then it may be worth getting better hardware. :-)

What makes you think it won't be easy, in my case?

cjs