Re: general design question

От Curt Sampson
Тема Re: general design question
Дата
Re: general design question  (Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>)
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Right.  The *minimum* row overhead in Postgres is 36 bytes (32-byte
> tuple header plus 4-byte line pointer).

Ah, right! The line pointer is four bytes because it includes the length
of the tuple.

But I'm not sure why we need this length, possibly because I don't
understand the function of the LP_USED and LP_DELETED flags in the line
pointer. (I'm guessing that if LP_USED is not set, the line pointer does
not point to any data, and that if LP_DELETED is set, it points to a
chunk of free space.)

Why could we not just make all unallocated space be pointed to by
LP_DELETED pointers, and then when we need space, use it from those
(splitting and joining as necessary)? That gets rid of the need for
a length. Then we could declare that all tuples must be aligned on a
four-byte boundary, use the top 14 bits of a 16-bit line pointer as the
address, and the bottom two bits for the LP_USED and LP_DELETED flag.
This would slightly simplify the code for determining the flags, and
incidently boost the maximum page size to 64K.

If you're willing to use a mask and shift to determine the address,
rather than just a mask, you could make the maximum page size 128K,
use the top 15 bits of the line pointer as the address, and use the
remaining bit as the LP_USED flag, since I don't see why we would then
need the LP_DELETED flag at all.

Or am I smoking crack here?

> AFAIK, all databases have nontrivial per-row overheads; PG might be
> a bit worse than average, but this is a significant issue no matter
> which DB you use.

For certain types of tables, such the sort of table joining two
others for which I forget the proper term:

    CREATE TABLE folder_contents (
        folder_id    int NOT NULL,
        item_id        int NOT NULL,
        PRIMARY KEY (folder_id, item_id))

some databases are much better. In MS SQL server, for example, since
there are no variable length columns, the tuple format will be:

    1 byte        status bits A
    1 byte        status bits B
    2 bytes        fixed-length columns data length
    4 bytes        DATA: folder_id
    4 bytes        DATA: item_id
    2 bytes        number of columns
    1 byte        null bitmap (unfortunately doesn't go away in SQL
            server even when there are no nullable columns)

(If there were variable length columns, you would have after this:
two bytes for the number of columns, 2 bytes per column for the
data offsets within the tuple, and then the variable data.)

So in Postgres this would take, what, 44 bytes per tuple? But in
SQL Server this takes 17 bytes per tuple (including the two byte
line pointer in what they call the page's "row offset array), or
about 40% of the space.

Needless to say, in my last job, where I was dealing with a table
like this with 85 million rows, I was happy for this to be a 1.3
GB table instead of a 3.5 GB table. Not that this made much
performance difference in that application anyway, since, with a
clustered index and typical folder sizes at a couple of dozen to
a hundred or so items, I was basically never going to read more
than one or two pages from disk to find the contents of a folder.

Hm. I guess this really should be on hackers, shouldn't it?

cjs