Re: Hardware suggestions for high performance 8.3

От Matthew Wakeling
Тема Re: Hardware suggestions for high performance 8.3
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, Henrik wrote:
> Would you turn off fsync if you had a controller with BBU? =)

No, certainly not. Fsync is what makes the data move from the volatile OS
cache to the non-volatile disc system. It'll just be a lot quicker on a
controller with a BBU cache, because it won't need to actually wait for
the discs. But you still need the fsync to move the data from main OS
cache to BBU cache.

>> Also, do you really need 6*750GB for OS and transaction logs? How big can
>> they be?
>
> Ahh, we are going to save a lot of other datafiles on those also but maybe
> i'll just get a cabinett.

Or you could just get 10 large SATA drives. To be honest, the performance
difference is not large, especially if you ensure the database data is
held compactly on the discs, so the seeks are small.

Matthew

--
It's one of those irregular verbs - "I have an independent mind," "You are
an eccentric," "He is round the twist."