От: Matthew Wakeling
Тема: Re: Which hardware ?
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Which hardware ?  ("Lionel", )
 Re: Which hardware ?  ("Scott Marlowe", )
 Re: Which hardware ?  (Andrew Sullivan, )
  Re: Which hardware ?  ("Scott Marlowe", )
  Re: Which hardware ?  (Greg Smith, )
   Re: Which hardware ?  ("Scott Marlowe", )
    Re: Which hardware ?  (Greg Smith, )
     Re: Which hardware ?  ("Scott Marlowe", )
 Re: Which hardware ?  (Matthew Wakeling, )
 Re: Which hardware ?  ("Lionel", )
  Re: Which hardware ?  (Andrew Sullivan, )
   Re: Which hardware ?  ("Scott Marlowe", )
   Re: Which hardware ?  (Greg Smith, )
 Re: Which hardware ?  ("Lionel", )
  Re: Which hardware ?  ("Scott Marlowe", )
  Re: Which hardware ?  (Greg Smith, )
 Re: Which hardware ?  (Jon D, )
 Re: Which hardware ?  ("Lionel", )

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008, Lionel wrote:
> I need to install a 8.3 database and was wondering which hardware would be
> sufficient to have good performances (less than 30s for² slowest select).

> It's almost impossible to predict what users will do via the webapplication
> that queries this database: almost all select, join, group by, where...
> possibilities are available.

Well, Scott has given you some good pointers on how to make a fast system.
However, your original question ("is this fast enough") is impossible to
answer, especially if the users are allowed to run absolutely anything
they want. I bet you I could craft a query that takes more than 30 seconds
regardless of how fast you make your system.

Having said that, I'll add the suggestion that you should put as much RAM
in the box as possible. It can only help. As others have said, if you only
have four users, then CPU power isn't going to be such a problem, and
given that, I'd disagree with Andrew and say as long as you have plenty of
RAM, Java can play well with a database on the same box. Depends what it
is doing, of course.

Matthew

--
To be or not to be           -- Shakespeare
To do is to be               -- Nietzsche