Re: EXPLAIN detail

От Matthew
Тема Re: EXPLAIN detail
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Pavan Deolasee wrote:
>>  I have a table with 17 columns and it has almost
>>  530000 records and doing just a
>>
>>  SELECT * FROM table

> Well, PK won't help you here because you are selecting all rows
> from the table and that seq scan is the right thing for that.

Yes. Like he said. Basically, you're asking the database to fetch all half
a million rows. That's going to take some time, whatever hardware you
have. The PK is completely irrelevant, because the query doesn't refer to
it at all. To be honest, three seconds sounds pretty reasonable for that
sort of query.

Matthew

--
There once was a limerick .sig