Re: ZFS and Postgresql - WASRe: Best OS for Postgres 8.2

От david@lang.hm
Тема Re: ZFS and Postgresql - WASRe: Best OS for Postgres 8.2
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Wed, 9 May 2007, Jignesh Shah wrote:

> But we still pay the penalty on WAL while writing them in the first place I
> guess .. Is there an option to disable it.. I can test how much is the impact
> I guess couple of %s but good to verify :-) )

on modern CPU's where the CPU is significantly faster then RAM,
calculating a checksum is free if the CPU has to touch the data anyway
(cycles where it would be waiting for a cache miss are spent doing the
calculations)

if you don't believe me, hack the source to remove the checksum and see if
you can measure any difference.

David Lang