Re: Best OS for Postgres 8.2

От david@lang.hm
Тема Re: Best OS for Postgres 8.2
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, 8 May 2007, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:

> On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 03:14:08PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> It is my understanding (and I certainly could be wrong) that FreeBSD
>> doesn't handle SMP nearly as well as Linux (and Linux not as well as
>> Solaris).
>
> I'm not actually sure about the last part. There are installations as big as
> 1024 CPUs that run Linux -- most people won't need that, but it's probably an
> indicator that eight cores should run OK :-)

over the weekend the question of scalability was raised on the linux
kernel mailing list and people are shipping 1024 cpu systems with linux,
and testing 4096 cpu systems. there are occasionally still bottlenecks
that limit scalability, butunless you run into a bad driver or filesystem
you should have no problems in the 8-16 core range.

any comparison between Linux and any other OS needs to include a date for
when the comparison was made, Linux is changing at a frightning pace (I
think I saw something within the last few weeks that said that the rate of
change for the kernel has averaged around 9000 lines of code per day over
the last couple of years) you need to re-check comparisons every year or
two or you end up working with obsolete data.

David Lang

Сообщение: Re: truncate a table instead of vaccum full when count(*) is 0
Сообщение: Re: truncate a table instead of vaccum full when count(*) is 0