Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning

От david@lang.hm
Тема Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Thu, 3 May 2007, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Greg,
>
>> I'm not fooled--secretly you and your co-workers laugh at how easy this
>> is on Solaris and are perfectly happy with how difficult it is on Linux,
>> right?
>
> Don't I wish.  There's issues with getting CPU info on Solaris, too, if you
> get off of Sun Hardware to generic white boxes.  The base issue is that
> there's no standardization on how manufacturers report the names of their
> CPUs, 32/64bit, or clock speeds.   So any attempt to determine "how fast"
> a CPU is, even on a 1-5 scale, requires matching against a database of
> regexes which would have to be kept updated.
>
> And let's not even get started on Windows.

I think the only sane way to try and find the cpu speed is to just do a
busy loop of some sort (ideally something that somewhat resembles the main
code) and see how long it takes. you may have to do this a few times until
you get a loop that takes long enough (a few seconds) on a fast processor

David Lang

Сообщение: Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tunin g
Сообщение: Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning