Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning

От david@lang.hm
Тема Re: Feature Request --- was: PostgreSQL Performance Tuning
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, 1 May 2007, Greg Smith wrote:

> On Tue, 1 May 2007, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>>  there is no standard way even within Linux to describe CPUs, for example.
>>  Collecting available disk space information is even worse.  So I'd like
>>  some help on this portion.

what type of description of the CPU's are you looking for?

>>  It's also hard/impossible to devise tuning algorithms that work for both
>>  gross tuning (increase shared_buffers by 100x) and fine tuning (decrease
>>  bgwriter_interval to 45ms).
>
> I would advocate focusing on iterative improvements to an existing
> configuration rather than even bothering with generating a one-off config for
> exactly this reason.  It *is* hard/impossible to get it right in a single
> shot, because of how many parameters interact and the way bottlenecks clear,
> so why not assume from the start you're going to do it several times--then
> you've only got one piece of software to write.

nobody is asking for things to be right the first time.

> The idea I have in my head is a tool that gathers system info, connects to
> the database, and then spits out recommendations in order of expected
> effectiveness--with the specific caveat that changing too many things at one
> time isn't recommended, and some notion of parameter dependencies. The first
> time you run it, you'd be told that shared_buffers was wildly low,
> effective_cache_size isn't even in the right ballpark, and your work_mem
> looks small relative to the size of your tables; fix those before you bother
> doing anything else because any data collected with those at very wrong
> values is bogus.

why not have a much simpler script that gets these values up into the
right ballpark first? then after that the process and analysis that you
are suggesting would be useful. the problem is that the defaults are _so_
far off that no sane incremental program is going to be able to converge
on the right answer rapidly.

David Lang