Re: psql man page error?

От Jeff Frost
Тема Re: psql man page error?
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, Simon Riggs wrote:

> which gives
>
>     prompt> echo "\x \\ select * from foo;" | psql
>     Expanded display is on.
>     invalid command \
>
> i.e. doesn't work on bash. With bash the command should be:
>
>     echo -e "\x \n select * from foo;" | psql
>
> which gives
>
>     prompt> echo -e "\x \n select * from foo;" | psql
>     Expanded display is on.
>     ERROR:  relation "foo" does not exist
>
> Does this mean there are multiple forms of the echo command, or is this
> example just wrong?

I believe that /bin/echo and the bash built-in used to be slightly different,
although reviewing both man pages on my FC5 system seem to indicate that they
have the same command-line arguments.

It's also possible that I'm thinking back to my Solaris (2.5.1) days when the
built-in tcsh echo was in fact different than /bin/echo.  That's why all my
scripts seem to call the binary and not the built-in.

Another possibility is that the original author had the options set in his
xpg_echo environment variable and forgot about it...or his distro was setting
it in a profile.d file.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner     <jeff@frostconsultingllc.com>
Frost Consulting, LLC     http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/