Re: availability of SATA vendors

От Jeff Frost
Тема Re: availability of SATA vendors
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006, Luke Lonergan wrote:

>> Currently, I'm looking at Penguin, HP and Sun (though Sun's store isn't
>> working for me at the moment).  Maybe I just need to order a Penguin and then
>> buy the controller separately, but was hoping to get support from a single
>> entity.
>
> Rackable or Asacomputers sell and support systems with the 3Ware or Areca
> controllers.

Luke,

ASAcomputers has been the most helpful of all the vendors so far, so thanks
for point me at them.  I know you've been posting results with the Areca and
3ware controllers, do you have a preference for one over the other?  It seems
that you can only get 256MB cache with the 3ware 9550SX and you can get 512MB
with the 9650SE, but only the Areca cards go up to 1GB.

I'm curious how big a performance gain we would see going from 256MB cache to
512MB to 1GB.  This is for a web site backend DB which is mostly read
intensive, but occassionally has large burts of write activity due to new user
signups generated by the marketing engine.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner     <jeff@frostconsultingllc.com>
Frost Consulting, LLC     http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/