Re: help tuning queries on large database

От: David Lang
Тема: Re: help tuning queries on large database
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

help tuning queries on large database  (peter royal, )
 Re: help tuning queries on large database  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: help tuning queries on large database  (David Lang, )
 Re: help tuning queries on large database  (Harry Jackson, )
 Re: help tuning queries on large database  ("Luke Lonergan", )
  Re: help tuning queries on large database  (peter royal, )
   Re: help tuning queries on large database  ("Luke Lonergan", )
    Re: help tuning queries on large database  (peter royal, )
     Re: help tuning queries on large database  ("Luke Lonergan", )
   Re: help tuning queries on large database  (Ron, )
 Re: help tuning queries on large database  (Ron, )
  Re: help tuning queries on large database  (Kelly Burkhart, )
   Re: help tuning queries on large database  (Harry Jackson, )
  Re: help tuning queries on large database  (Mark Lewis, )

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

> Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 18:47:55 -0500
> From: Tom Lane <>
> To: peter royal <>
> Subject: Re: [PERFORM] help tuning queries on large database
>
> peter royal <> writes:
>> So, my question is, is there anything I can do to boost performance
>> with what I've got, or am I in a position where the only 'fix' is
>> more faster disks? I can't think of any schema/index changes that
>> would help, since everything looks pretty optimal from the 'explain
>> analyze' output. I'd like to get a 10x improvement when querying from
>> the 'cold' state.
>
> I don't think you have any hope of improving the "cold" state much.
> The right way to think about this is not to be in the "cold" state.
> Check your kernel parameters and make sure it's not set to limit
> the amount of memory used for cache (I'm not actually sure if there
> is such a limit on Linux, but there definitely is on some other Unixen).

Linux doesn't have any ability to limit the amount of memory used for
caching (there are periodicly requests for such a feature)

David Lang