Re: [HACKERS] Please Help: PostgreSQL Query Optimizer

От Anjan Kumar. A.
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Please Help: PostgreSQL Query Optimizer
Дата
Список pgsql-docs

Since sequential access is not significantly faster than random access in a MMDB, random_page_cost will be
approximatelysame as sequential page fetch cost.

As every thing is present in Main Memory, we need to give approximately same cost to read/write to Main Memory and CPU
Relatedoperations.

But, in PostgreSQL  all costs are  scaled relative to a page fetch. If we make both sequential_page_fetch_cost and
random_page_costto "1", then  we need to increase the various cpu_* paramters by multiplying the default values with
appropriate Scaling Factor.  Now, we need to determine this Scaling Factor.

Still, i want to confirm whether this approach is the correct one.

--
Regards.

Anjan Kumar A.
MTech2,  Comp Sci.,
www.cse.iitb.ac.in/~anjankumar
Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.
         -- Robert Heinlein