Re: "expected authentication request from server, but

От Michal Jeczalik
Тема Re: "expected authentication request from server, but
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> Michał Jęczalik <pgsql-hackers@jeczalik.com> writes:
>> I have a very old postgres 6.4 installation. I'm trying to connect to it
>> from a fresh, up-to-date Debian-host, but I'm constantly getting (from DBI
>> and PHP as well) this error message:
>
>> # ./update_dns.pl
>> DBI connect('dbname=dns;host=sql;authtype=password','dns',...) failed:
>> expected authentication request from server, but received U
>>   at ./update_dns.pl line 237
>
> I went back and built the 6.4 branch just to confirm that current libpq
> and psql would still talk to a 6.4 server.  They do (modulo most of
> psql's \d commands not working).  So there's something more here than a
> simple version mismatch.  Is it possible that DBI is using some private
> all-Perl client library rather than libpq to talk to the server?

Quite possible. I managed to compile 7.4 and that error message
disappeared. Anyway, perl dumped core at the very start of the connection.
;) I downgraded DBD::Pg to 1.22 and... it worked! I did not try to upgrade
libpq back to 8.x, but... PHP didn't worked as well with recent version of
libs... After downgrading to 7.4 it worked fine. So there must be
something about libpq anyway.

Regards,
--
Samotnik Michał Jęczalik, +48.695.64.75.14
www.zagle.org.pl   - rejsy morskie