Re: pgadmin3 / postgresql newbie question

От Marco Colombo
Тема Re: pgadmin3 / postgresql newbie question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Jonathan Schreiter wrote:

> hi all,
> running amd64 fedora core 3 w/ default postgresql
> 7.4.7-3. did asu - , su postgres and createdb mydb as
> explained in the postgresql tutorial. installed the
> latest pgadmin3 and am trying to connect to this
> database. as i wasn't sure what the FC3 default
> password was for postgres, i changed it to something i
> could remember.
>
> i can't seem to connect to the new database using
> pgadmin3. i have the correct IP address of the local
> computer, default port 5432, mydb as the initaldb,
> postgres as the username, and my new password as the
> password. i keep getting the error
>
> Error connecting to the server: could not connect to
> server: Connection refused
> Is the server running on host "192.168.1.24" and
> accepting
> TCP/IP connections on port 5432?
>
> i also verified the postgresql service is running, and
> that i've added the following to
> /etc/raddb/postgresql.conf:

This file is part of the freeradius package, and despite the name,
has nothing to do with your PostgreSQL configuration.

The default path for the real PostgreSQL configuration file is:
/var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf

I don't know if running TCP/IP is a requirement for pgadmin3, but
if you need to access the _local_ PostgreSQL server, most clients
would do w/o configuring TCP/IP support at all.

> login = "postgres"
> password = "mynewpassword"
>
> and right underneath it:
> tcpip = true

These do not belong to PostgreSQL server configurarion. It's RADIUS stuff.

> i've also disabled my local firewall and SELINUX just
> for kicks. and yes, i did a reboot.
>
> so...anyone know what else i can look at?

1) make sure postgresql is running (use ps - look for a postmaster process)

2) if it's not there, run following command as root:

service postgresql start

3) if you want it to run automatically at boot, and it doesn't, run
    the following command as root:

chkconfig postgresql on

this won't start the process if it's not running. It just sets a flag
for the next boot.

4) i don't get what you mean for changing postgres password. To switch
to the postgres user, I usually switch to root first, and then to postgres.
Root can switch to any user w/o password. Actually, it's good security
practice not to assign any password to system pseudo-accounts ("postgres"
is one of them) and leave them locked. If you need a different access
method, I strongly suggest to look at the PostgreSQL way to authenticate
users and stop using the 'ident' method (see pg_hba.conf), which forces
you to run clients with a certain Unix user id.

5) try and access to the db with the psql client first. Use the same
connection method you're using with pgadmin3, and run it under the same
user you run pgadmin3 with. E.g.:

psql -h localhost -p 5432 -U postgres mydb

see psql manual for details.

If you successfully get to 5), it's likely it's a pgadmin3 problem.

.TM.
--
      /      /       /            Marco Colombo

Сообщение: Re: pgadmin3 / postgresql newbie question
Сообщение: Re: pgadmin3 / postgresql newbie question