Re: Postgres vs. MySQL

От Christian Fowler
Тема Re: Postgres vs. MySQL
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
As for performance, lots of others will probably volunteer tips and
techniques. In my experience, properly written and tuned applications will
show only minor speed differences. I have seen several open-source apps
that "support postgres" but are not well tested on it. Query optimization
can cause orders of magnitude performance differences. It sounds maybe
dspam is in this bucket?

> Please, could anyone explain me this difference?
> Is Postgres that bad?
> Is MySQL that good?
> Am I the only one to have observed this behavior?

I made a little chart about these about a year ago:

http://www.tikipro.org/wiki/index.php?page=DatabaseComparison

If speed is what you need, and data integrity / safety is not, then MySQL
may be a good choice. (Aggregate statistics tables and other such
calculated denormalizations).

IMHO, if all you need is dpsam running *now*, then I'd say MySQL might be
good choice. If you ever need to run a DB application where data integrity
is mission critical, then postgres is the top of my list.

[ \ /
[ >X<   Christian Fowler      | spider AT viovio.com
[ / \   http://www.viovio.com | http://www.tikipro.org