Re: quoting values magic

От Brandon Metcalf
Тема Re: quoting values magic
Дата
Список pgsql-general
d == dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl writes:

 d> On May 26, 2009, at 6:37 PM, Brandon Metcalf wrote:
 d> > j> option 2: case when '$length' = '' ...
 d> >
 d> > j> you can use case like this:
 d> >
 d> > j>    UPDATE foo
 d> > j>      SET
 d> > j>        pattern = '$pattern',
 d> > j>        shape   = '$shape',
 d> > j>        length  = case when '$length'='' then length else
 d> > '$length' end,
 d> > j>        comment = '$comment'
 d> > j>      WHERE foo_id = $foo_id
 d> >
 d> > j> here you can substitute any value you choose for the empty string,
 d> > j> 0 or NULL may (or may not) be more apropriate.
 d> >
 d> >
 d> > The issue here is that these reduce back to my original problem.  For
 d> > example, if I use a CASE statement and I fall through to the ELSE,
 d> > then the SQL is attempting to insert a "''" in a NUMERIC field which
 d> > is not valid.  That is, it's trying to do

 d> No it doesn't, read that statement again ;)

Oops.  Indeed, you are correct.

--
Brandon